To mark the 90th anniversary of Karstadt Hermannplatz, on 27 September 2019 an exhibition will open on the 4th floor of the Karstadt building, taking visitors on a journey through the turbulent times of the department store.
Karstadt Hermannplatz, at the time the “most modern department store in Europe”, opened in 1929. Back then it was more than just a department store – it was a place to meet, stroll and enjoy. In addition to goods for everyday use, the store offered all kinds of services such as travel agencies, children’s hairdressers and a swimming pool. The public roof garden of over 4,000 square metres in size attracted visitors for relaxed dining, but also for dancing and pleasure, and offered what was probably the most spectacular view over Berlin. The building became an attraction in itself and a sight famous beyond the city limits of Berlin. The attractiveness of the districts of Kreuzberg and Neukölln was greatly enhanced, Berlin became a modern cosmopolitan city.
The deliberate demolition of the building by the Nazis shortly before the end of the Second World War marked a turning point. Sales initially continued from temporary premises in the rubble, and five years later construction of a new building started that was completed in 1951. This was followed by various conversion and expansion measures up to the present status quo with the last construction phase in 2000. As the only part of the building that was largely spared from the demolition in 1945 and partially reconstructed, a fragment of the façade an der Hasenheide survived the turbulent history and today still bears witness to the historical site and a time when a visit to a department store was far more than just a shopping trip.
Monday – Saturday
8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.